10 Affordable Things to Do with Your Grandkids This Summer
Summer is filled with fun activities for grandparents and their grandchildren in Portland and the surrounding areas. The good news is many activities are free. Here are some great ways to spend time together:
- Movies in the Parks: Bring your blankets and pillows and watch a movie under the stars. In Portland, Oregon City, Lake Oswego and Tualatin. Free.
- Summer Arts on Main: Soak up the sun while enjoying noontime concerts and creative children’s activities. Every Wednesday from July 7 to Sept. 6, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., on SW Main Street, between Broadway and Park Avenue. Free.
- Children’s Museum: Dive into fun hands-on activities. Admission on the first Friday of each month from 4–8 p.m. is free.
- Oregon Zoo: Check out the animals for only $4 on the second Tuesday of every month. You’ll get a $1.50 discount if you ride the MAX light rail or a TriMet bus. Just show your transit tickets.
- Portland Art Museum: Explore the art of Picasso, Native Americans, and much more. The first Thursday of every month from 5-8 p.m. is free.
- OMSI: Fall in love with science through cool hands-on exhibits. Admission is $2 on the first Sunday of each month from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Washington Park Summer Festival: The community spirit is alive at this popular festival, featuring Taiko drummers, flamenco dancers, opera, and multicultural music. Free.
- Concerts in the Park: Groove to a variety of music from soul to Samba to Sinatra in parks across Portland, Beaverton, and Lake Oswego. Remember to pack a picnic basket! Free.
- Beaverton International Celebration: Celebrate dance, music, food, and art from around the world. Free.
- Hillsboro Public Library Cultural and Fun Passes: Reserve a free cultural pass to hang out at terrific places, like the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, Pittock Mansion, Portland Japanese Garden and Lan Su Chinese Garden. You can also check out a free fun pass to the Shute Park Aquatic & Recreation Center, Outdoors In Park at the Plaza, and Out of This World Pizza and Play. Free.